Am I covered by travel insurance if I'm scuba diving?
This information is for residents of Helpdesk Global only.
Only the Explorer Plan can provide you with cover while scuba diving.
|Scuba Diving Certification||Conditions of Cover|
|Not Certified||Cover to scuba dive under licensed instruction to a maximum
depth of 50 meters
|Certified Diver||You can dive to the depth that your license allows up to a maximum
depth of 50 meters.
|Shark Cage diving||Covered to a depth of 50 meters|
|Cave diving and Cavern diving||Covered|
|Free diving||Covered to a depth of 50 meters|
|Commercial Diving||Not Covered|
|Work as a dive instructor||See Article ' Am I covered while working during my trip'|
There’s also cover for the theft of your sporting equipment or damage to your sporting equipment by a common carrier.
How it works
If you become seriously ill or injured while diving and need urgent medical assistance, we’ll cover:
- evacuation if it’s urgent and medically necessary (by the most appropriate means including helicopter when necessary and available).
- emergency medical expenses for treatment at the hospital or local medical centre including decompression treatment if agreed as medically necessary by your treating doctor and our medical specialist; and/or
- repatriation home if you’re seriously ill or injured and unable to continue your trip.
If you are in need of a medical evacuation, repatriation or if you are admitted to hospital, you or someone with you MUST contact the emergency assistance team immediately. The Emergency Assistance team can arrange and pre-approve all expenses.
Who pays for medical treatment (and by this we mean either you pay upfront and claim later or we pay) depends on what’s happened to you and the necessary treatment required.
Also be aware that any medical claim or sporting equipment claim submitted will have a €70 EURO/$100 USD policy excess/co-pay deducted per person, per claimable event.
What’s not covered
The policy isn’t designed to cover everything. Take the time to read the terms and conditions in the Product Guide for full details on what is and isn’t covered. That way there are no surprises if you need to use it.
Here are the main things that aren’t covered:
- Any dive which takes you below your current qualification limits or any dive below 50 metres under any circumstances.
- If you act with disregard for your own safety, gross negligence or actively engage in any illegal act.
- Search and rescue under any circumstances.
- Any on-going medical expenses once you return to your home country
- Anything else that's listed in the exclusions on the policy.