Travel Insurance: am I covered for skiing/snowboarding?
This information is for residents of Helpdesk Global only.
Yes, there’s cover while skiing and snowboarding while on your trip under both the Standard Plan and the Explorer Plan.
Skiing and snowboarding on all open and safe runs on marked trails within resort boundaries and off-piste is covered under the Standard and Explorer Plan.
If you want to try heli-skiing and heli-boarding then you can but only if you buy the Explorer Plan (there’s no cover for this activity under the Standard Plan)
How it works
If you’re unfortunate enough to have an accident and hurt yourself while skiing/snowboarding, we’ll cover:
- evacuation if it’s urgent and medically necessary (by the most appropriate means including helicopter when necessary and available).
- emergency medical expenses, for treatment at the hospital or by a physician at the local medical center; and/or
- repatriation home to the United States if you’re seriously ill or injured and unable to continue your trip.
If something happens and you need emergency transport or evacuation or if you are admitted to hospital, you (or someone else) MUST contact the Emergency Assistance Team at One Call Worldwide Travel Services Network as soon as reasonably possible for pre-authorization and assistance.
Where you go, when and how you get there, the availability of transport and the suitability of the medical facilities nearby will depend on the situation.
Who pays for medical treatment (that is, will the insurer pay the medical bills upfront or will you pay and make a claim later) depends on what’s happened to you and the necessary treatment required.
What’s not covered
Travel insurance is not designed to cover everything, so take the time to read the Travel Protection Plan for all terms, conditions and exclusions, so there are no surprises if you do need to use it. If you are unsure of cover, please contact us for help.
Here are the main things that aren’t covered:
- Any medical transportation or associated additional expenses which are not a recommendation by the treating physician.
- Any costs once you get back home.
- Anything else that's listed in the exclusions on the policy.
- Any expenses that relate to a pre-existing medical condition.
For customer service you can send a message or call Trip Mate direct:
Telephone:+1-844-207-1930 (toll free within the US and Canada)
Telephone:+1-816-905-3963 (international direct/collect)
The Trip Mate customer service team are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to answer your queries.