Am I covered by Travel Insurance if I'm hiking or Trekking?
This information is for residents of Helpdesk Global only.
The Standard and Explorer plans can cover you while hiking or trekking. If you want to go on a mountaineering adventure then there’s cover for this too under the Explorer Plan only.
You must be acting responsibly at all times while trekking or mountaineering and do not deliberately place yourself in danger.
How it works
If you become seriously ill or injured while trekking , hiking or mountaineering and need urgent medical assistance, cover includes:
- evacuation if it’s urgent and medically necessary (by the most appropriate means including helicopter when necessary and available).
- emergency medical expenses, for treatment at the hospital or by a physician at the local medical center; and/or
- repatriation home to the United States if you’re seriously ill or injured and unable to continue your trip.
If something happens and you need emergency transport or evacuation or if you are admitted to hospital, you (or someone else) MUST contact the 24 hour Emergency Assistance Team at One Call Worldwide Travel Services Network as soon as reasonably possible for pre-authorization and assistance.
If a guide or tour operator wants to arrange your evacuation, please get them to contact our assistance team first to guarantee cover.
Where you go, when and how you get there, the availability of transport and the suitability of the medical facilities nearby will depend on the situation.
Who pays for medical treatment (and by this we mean the insurer pays upfront or you pay and make a claim later) depends on what’s happened to you and the necessary treatment required.
What’s not covered
Travel insurance is not designed to cover everything, so take the time to read the Travel Protection Plan for all terms, conditions and exclusions so there are no surprises if you do need to use it.
Here are the main things that aren’t covered:
- Any medical transportation or associated additional expenses which are not authorized by the Emergency Assistance team
- Any costs once you get back home.
- Search and Rescue
- Anything else that's listed in the exclusions on the policy.
For customer service you can send a message or call Trip Mate direct:
Telephone:+1-844-207-1930 (toll free within the US and Canada)
Telephone:+1-816-905-3963 (international direct/collect)
The Trip Mate customer service team are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to answer your queries.