Am I covered by travel insurance if I'm pregnant?
This information is for residents of Helpdesk Global only.
Pregnant? Planning a trip or already travelling? The policy may cover your pregnancy so read on to find out if there is cover available and if so, what conditions apply.
Yes, pregnancy is covered by the policy, although be aware that there are some restrictions to this cover.
There’s cover for emergency medical treatment, emergency medical transport and hospital charges if you suffer a sudden and unexpected illness or serious injury related to your pregnancy (including miscarriage) while travelling when:
- you’re pregnant with only one baby and you have had no complications for this or any previous pregnancy; and
- your trip finishes before the end of your 26th week of pregnancy.
If you’re pregnant and something happens while you’re travelling, e.g. you pick up a gastro bug or a serious virus, or if you lose your footing and take a heavy fall, your policy will cover the overseas medical expenses incurred to treat your illness or injury and any resulting pregnancy complications.
If the doctor treating you says you’re unfit to continue travelling, firstly contact our emergency assistance team. We’ll need to get our own medical specialists to confer and agree.
After that, if you have no option but to change your travel plans, there’s cover for reasonable additional transport, accommodation and/or cancellation expenses. That covers cancellation, re-arrangement or catching up to your original itinerary.
What’s not covered
- A pregnancy with more than one baby.
- A pregnancy resulting from any assisted reproductive program, e.g. IVF.
- A pregnancy where you’ve had any complications for any pregnancy prior to buying or extending the policy.
- Routine pregnancy check-ups, e.g. standard ultrasounds and blood tests; pregnancy tests; etc.
- Childbirth at any time.
- Regular antenatal care, including care of a newborn.
- Fertility treatments at any time.
- Expenses incurred in your home country.
- Anything else that’s listed in the General Exclusions and section specific exclusions in the policy wording.
Please do read the policy wording carefully to understand the terms and conditions related to “Health conditions and your policy” to understand how certain medical conditions (including pregnancy) may impact your coverage; this includes pregnancy related to you, a member of your travelling party, a close relative and any other person to whom this policy relates.
Also read Section 3 of the policy wording for full details on the terms, conditions, limits and exclusions for Cancellation and Trip Interruption coverage as well as the General Exclusions.