Am I covered by travel insurance if I'm riding a motorbike or scooter?
This information is for residents of Helpdesk Global only.
As we've recently changed our insurer, please select the date you bought your policy:
Policies purchased on or after 2 December 2018 (GMT)
Policies purchased before 2 December 2018 (GMT)
World Nomads travel insurance plans include cover for riding motorbikes, mopeds and scooters, including medical, if you meet the conditions of cover as outlined in the policy wording.
Am I covered to ride a motorbike, moped or scooter?
You may be eligible for cover if you do all of the following:
What’s covered when riding a motorbike, moped or scooter?
If you are injured in an accident while riding a motorbike, moped or scooter, we can cover:
If you’re hurt in an accident, you must contact World Nomads 24/7 Emergency Assistance as soon as possible, so we can find appropriate medical care and get you there if needed.
What’s not covered if I ride a motorbike, moped or scooter?
Travel insurance isn’t designed to cover everything. Here are some examples where no cover applies:
As ever, take care when doing fun-but-risky stuff or you could void your insurance. If you’re not sure about your ability in the conditions, then don’t ride.
This is only a summary of cover and does not include the full terms and conditions of the policy. You should read your policy wording in full so you understand what is and isn’t covered. That way there won’t be any surprises if you need to use it. If you have any questions, please get in touch.
European customers (excluding Irish residents):
For policies purchased on or after 1 August 2019: Your policy is underwritten by XL Insurance Company SE. For policies purchased between 17 January 2019 and 31 July 2019: Your policy is underwritten by Lloyd’s Insurance Company SA. For policies purchased between 2 December 2018 and 16 January 2019: Your policy is underwritten by certain underwriters at Lloyd’s.
All other customers (excluding residents of Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, EEA, Ireland, New Zealand, Philippines, UK and USA):
For policies purchased on or after 1 August 2019, your policy is underwritten by nib Travel Services Limited. For policies purchased between 2 December 2018 and 31 July 2019: Your policy is underwritten by nib Travel Services Limited, formerly known as Nomadic Insurance Limited.
If you want to go for a ride on a motorbike or moped while on your trip, there’s cover available under both the Standard Plan and the Explorer Plan.
To be covered when riding a motorbike or moped, you must take all the usual safety precautions including:
- be legally allowed to ride in the country you are in
- obey the local road rules; and
- wear a helmet if it is required by law.
If you are renting a motorcycle, there’s also cover for your rental vehicle insurance excess when you buy the Explorer Plan (the rental vehicle excess benefit is not included in the Standard Plan). Read Section 25 ‘Rental Vehicle Insurance Excess’ in the product guide (policy wording) for full details of this benefit.
How it works
If you are injured in an accident while riding a motorcycle or moped, we’ll cover:
- evacuation if it’s urgent and medically necessary (by the most appropriate means including helicopter when necessary and available).
- emergency medical expenses for treatment at the hospital or by a doctor at the local medical centre; and/or
- repatriation home if you’re seriously ill or injured and unable to continue your trip.
If you are in need of a medical evacuation or repatriation, you or someone with you MUST contact the insurer's Emergency Assistance Team immediately. The Emergency Assistance team can arrange and pre-approve all expenses. Search and rescue is also not covered unless approved by the insurer, ihi Bupa.
Who pays for medical treatment (and by this we mean either you pay upfront and claim later or we pay)depends on what’s happened to you and the necessary treatment required.
Also be aware that any medical claim submitted will have a policy excess/co-pay deducted per person, per claimable event.
What’s not covered
The policy isn’t designed to cover everything. Take the time to read the terms and conditions in the Product Guide for full details on what is and isn’t covered. That way there are no surprises if you need to use it.
- racing or riding competitively
- theft or damage to the motorcycle
- if you ride in areas where the following events are occurring, your cover may be limited: war, invasion, acts of a foreign enemy, hostilities (whether war has been declared or not), civil war, terrorist acts, rebellion, revolution, insurrection, civil commotion, military or usurped power, martial law, riots or the act of any lawfully constituted authority, or army, naval or air service operations (whether war has been declared or not)
- riding in an area which is marked or is known to be ‘closed’, ‘out of bounds’ or ‘unsafe’ or where you knowingly expose yourself to any needless risks or act illegally.
- legal liability for injury or property damage you cause to a third party, caused by you, whilst riding a motorcycle (defined as a motor vehicle in the product guide)
- anything else that's listed in the exclusions on the policy.
For policies purchased before 2 December 2018, your policy is underwritten by Bupa.