Am I covered if I have a pre-existing medical condition?
This information is for residents of Helpdesk Global only.
Any expenses related to a pre-existing medical condition cannot be covered under this policy. You can still purchase a policy online through World Nomads with a pre-existing medical condition, but there's no cover for any claim made as a result of this condition
What is a pre-existing medical condition?
If any of the following exist at the time you buy your policy or extend your policy, then we’ll consider that you have a pre-existing medical condition:
- An on-going, chronic or recurring illness or disorder, injury or physical disability, medical or dental condition of which you are aware, or related to a complication you have, or the symptoms of which you are aware prior to the commencement date;
- A medical or dental condition that is currently being, or has been, investigated or treated by a health professional (including dentist or chiropractor) at any time in the past, prior to the commencement date;
- Any condition for which you take or have taken prescribed medicine;
- Any condition for which you have had surgery; or
- Any condition for which you see or have seen a general practitioner or a medical specialist.
Pregnancy is not considered a Pre-Existing medical condition. Read this article – Am I covered if I’m pregnant for more information on pregnancy cover.
What’s not covered?
Any medical condition you suffer from or are treated for while travelling will be considered a pre-existing medical condition on any extension of this insurance.
Any pre-existing conditions of the teeth and dental treatment which is not pain relieving and provisional and can await your arrival home.
Regarding medical and dental expenses, the insurance does not cover expenses for control, treatment and medicines in connection with stabilisation and regulation of a pre-existing medical condition.
Also be aware that any medical claim submitted will have the policy excess applied. There is a EURO 70 / USD$100 excess deducted per person, per claimable event (the currency you purchase your policy in is the currency you will pay for your excess, either EURO or USD)
Be sure to read the Product Guide where you'll find the details on what's covered and what’s not specifically ‘Section 7 Overseas Medical and Dental Expenses’ and the ‘General Exclusions’ to make sure that the policy is right for you. That way there are no surprises if you need to use it. If you are unsure of cover, please contact us for help