- Simple & flexible travel insurance for your next adventure.
- Insights to help you navigate the risks & find the safer path.
- Opportunities to travel & create.
- Tap into the knowledge of other travellers or share your expertise.
- Discover how travellers have helped change peoples lives.
- Travel stories to excite, inspire and share.
- Everything you need to know. We're here to help.
Are there any waiting periods?
This information is for residents of Helpdesk Global only.
Yes, there are waiting periods!
What’s a waiting period?
It’s the amount of time you have to wait before cover is activated and/or before a benefit becomes payable.
But why do I have to wait for cover?
To put it bluntly, it reduces the likelihood of travellers making claims as soon as they purchase insurance. It also helps to keep the price lower for everyone.
When is the waiting period applied to the policy?
If you’re already travelling, you’ll need to wait 72 hours from the moment you buy the policy (ie 3 days) before you can be fully covered under any of the policy benefits.
A little exception to the rule:
Because we know all too well that the unexpected can happen, especially overseas, there’s cover for emergency overseas medical expenses and emergency transport expenses immediately (no need to wait until the 72 hours is up to be covered in other words) if you become seriously ill or injured as a result of an accident that happens after you buy your policy.
Buying your policy at home before heading off on your overseas adventure?
No waiting period applied! You’ll be fully covered from your departure date!
Policy benefits and waiting periods
There are only two policy benefits where a waiting period is in place once you have your policy:
- There is a waiting period of three days from the time of purchase until the Pre-trip Cancellation cover takes effect
- Baggage Delay – you have to wait 12 hours from your arrival time before you can claim for essential items.