- Simple & flexible travel insurance for your next adventure.
- Insights to help you navigate the risks & find the safer path.
- Opportunities to travel & create.
- Tap into the knowledge of other travellers or share your expertise.
- Discover how travellers have helped change peoples lives.
- Travel stories to excite, inspire and share.
- Everything you need to know. We're here to help.
Travel Insurance: Delayed and Missed Flights
This information is for residents of Helpdesk Global only.
If your flight is delayed your policy can help. If you miss a connecting flight then there’s cover for this too but only when you upgrade to the Explorer Plan and pay the additional premium.
World Nomads cover for Delayed and Missed Flights
There’s cover for documented, necessary and reasonable additional expenses for local transportation, meals and overnight hotel accommodation where:
- your pre-booked transportation is delayed for more than three hours past its scheduled departure
- your pre-booked transportation is cancelled or overbooked
There’s cover under the Explorer Plan for:
- additional expenses incurred to buy a replacement flight ticket(s) or cover the fees to change your ticket(s) if a common carrier causes you to miss your connecting flight and you must catch up on your planned itinerary .
Indian residents: The missed connection and travel delay benefit is not included under the policy available when selecting India as your country of permanent residency. Our insurer for Indian travellers, ihi Bupa, has decided that they are no longer able to manage benefits greater than cover for Overseas Medical Expenses and Medical Evacuation/Repatriation.
How does the World Nomads cover for Delayed and Missed Flights Work?
Do try to minimise your expenses and claim a refund or compensation from the transportation provider before making a claim on the policy.
For missed connections, you must notify the airline immediately of any issues caused by another Common Carrier that may affect your connecting flight (to minimise your losses).
You must also get a written confirmation of the delay and the reason why from the carrier and provide copies of any receipts for unavoidable additional expenses.
While you can buy your travel tickets and insurance at any time, to be covered for travel delay and missed connections:
- the transportation must be booked and paid for at least three days before its scheduled departure.
- your insurance must have been purchased before you were aware your transport may be delayed, cancelled or overbooked.
- the travel delay or missed flight connection must be unforeseeable and through no fault of your own.
Also be aware that any travel delay or missed flight connection claim submitted will have a €70EURO/$100USD policy excess/co-pay deducted per person, per claimable event (the currency you purchase your policy in is the currency you will pay for your excess, either EURO or USD)
What’s not covered:
Travel insurance is not designed to cover everything, so take the time to read the Product Guide (Policy wording), particularly the List of Benefits Section 18 Missed Flight Connection; Section 17 Travel Delay and the General Exclusions, so there are no surprises if you do need to use it.
- We will not pay if you simply change your mind or if you were aware, at the time of booking or buying the tickets, of circumstances that would cause a travel delay or result in a missed connection.
- Any claim where the required minimum transit and check in times by your airline are not met or it is at least three hours, whatever is longer.
- any unused accommodation expenses or no-show fees in connection with travel delay